What has the power to bring Unnichan out of hibernation? Only her insane loyalty to Game of Thrones of course!
The fifth season of the acclaimed HBO fantasy originally pinned by George RR Martin, is finally back for another 10 episodes beginning April 12th. Of course, all new seasons introduces an array of new characters practically tripling the death toll of the previous season. However, with what transpired in the last 20 minutes of last season’s finale, the additions will only reach half.
As always, my eyes were filled with hearts as I read the new casting list once it dropped, along with an introductory video, after Comic Con 2014. I am always delighted by the appearance of sensational performers like Alexander Siddig and Jonathan Pryce and would be remiss not to mention the productions’ effort cast to diverse actors wisely yet deliberately.
- Alexander Siddig as Doran Martell: Doran Martell is the ruling lord of Dorne and older brother to the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Unlike his brother, Doran is even- tempered and deliberate. Now, all of Dorne waits to see how their lord will react to his brother’s death.
- Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell: Trystane Martell is Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. His father betrothed him to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister, then Hand of the King.
- Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon: Myrcella Baratheon is officially the eldest child of Cersei Lannister and the late King Robert Baratheon, though in truth her father is Cersei’s own brother, Jaime Lannister. For years, she has been a guest and ward of Prince Doran, betrothed to his son, but her position has become tenuous with the death of Oberyn Martell, the Prince’s brother. **** Myrcella isn’t a new character but Free will portray a more mature version of this “Baratheon” daughter.
- DeObia Oparei as Areo Hotah: Areo Hotah is the long-serving captain of Doran Martell’s palace guard, renowned for his loyalty and his longaxe.
- Enzo Cilenti as Yezzan: Yezzan was an extremely wealthy slave trader before Daenerys Targaryen outlawed the slave trade.
- Jessica Henwick as Nymeria (“Nym”) Sand: Nym Sand is the second eldest of the late Prince Oberyn’s bastard daughters. Her mother was an Eastern noblewoman who brought Nym up to be cultured, graceful and deadly with a whip.
- Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand: Tyene Sand is the daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell by Ellaria Sand, his final paramour. Tyene is fiercer than she looks, especially with her twin daggers.
- Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand: A fearsome warrior, Obara Sand is the eldest bastard daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Her mother was a Dornish peasant girl who caught the eye of the late Prince.
- Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow: A devout and pious man, the High Sparrow came to King’s Landing to serve those forgotten by much of the world – the poor, the downtrodden and the infirm – and quickly amassed a large following. His fellow believers have swarmed over the city, ministering to the lowest and decrying the corruption of the highest.
With seasons 3 and 4 based on Martin’s third installment Storm of Swords, accordingly season five follows our characters in the fourth novel Feast of Crows. This also marks a new direction for some beloved characters given the murders and losses of the previous season there will be heavy focus on some of the most abhorred characters of the series, as our “heroes” reassess their positioning and plan their next moves.
Previews for the premiere out, also Buzzfeed published a delightful article for those of us still missing Khal Drogo. ‘Cause even with Jason Mamoa trekking down The Red Road he will forever be the Khaleesi’s “sun and stars.”
[stills courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, detailed character descriptions Screen Rant]